Monday, May 19, 2008

"Lord....let me recover my sight"

"Jesus, son of David, have mercy on me!"
"Lord, let me recover my sight"
From Luke 18
When my EYES and ears and lips and heart and mind and strength and song- created to worship God- worship the creature rather than the Creator...When they seek inspiration and sustenance from things other than the all-powerful, almighty, merciful Lord and Savior...when they attribute beauty and awesomeness to anything but God...when I allow my gaze to drift form the Cross, my hearing to tune into another message, my words to subtly or overtly worship me, my heart to flutter at whatever temporal happiness the world has to offer, my thoughts to run a marry-go-round of me me me, my desire to be for anything but Him, my strength to be conjured up in me, my song to credit myself and not Christ.......When I am in this place...which is -to one degree or another- as long as I live here on earth, a sinner saved by the blood.....I will cry "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me...Lord, let me recover my sight" Oh, let me behold the Almighty Creator, the Crushed Lamb,the Obedient Substitute, the Victorious Savior and his empty cross and grave, the Merciful Intercessor, the Radiant King on high.....worthy of worship...worthy that my gaze should catch and fix magnetically upon Him, His glory, His creation, His ways, His words, His awesomeness...worthy that my ears should relish in His children's tunes and filter through the stones cries; and what God-glorifying beauty will my ears find in both that is not to be credited to Him? ...worthy that my tongue should move to praise and sing His songs, confess my endless sins and lift thanks to Him who forgives them, speak his truth and love to all while it is called 'today'... worthy that every faculty He has endowed upon me- those which are currently strong, weak, effortless, draining, pleasurable, loathsome- should be motivated for His glory, empowered by His grace, controlled and convitcted by His infallible perfect Word, conformed to Him, Inspired by Him, grateful to Him, flourishing in Him, Serious about Him, held against a standard of Him, cling to Him, Look to Him, Interested in Him, filtered through Him, Strengthened For Him and His purposes...finding all rest, joy, sustenance, peace, hope, faithfulness, love, mercy, self-control,  trust, perseverance, discernment, forgiveness, conviction, perspective, satisfaction, supply...In Him alone! Whatever the cost. 


"Heavenly Father, Though hast placed me in the church which thy Son purchased by His own blood. Add grace to grace that I may live worthy of my Vocation...My heart is not always a flame of adoring love, but, resting in thy Son's redemption, I look forward to the days of heaven, where no langour shall oppress, no iniquities chill, no mists of unbelief dim the eye, no zeal ever tires. Father, these thoughts are the stay, prop, and comfort of my soul." (parts taken from "Vocation" from The Valley of Vision)    

If you think of it...pray for me to fix my eyes on Jesus, release any idols to Him and allow His Spirit to help me change to love Him and His word more!

1 comment:

Kate Van said...

yes yes amen! i am thankful the LORD has you in his arms. . . He will not let your gaze stay on earthly things long. He tenderly leads us back to a place of worshiping HIM ALONE!